Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Whirlwind Month

The last month has been a whirlwind of traveling, teaching, performing and unforgettable musical experiences! In late November, I flew to Mumbai, which was my first excursion outside of Delhi since arriving in India. I spent a fantastic week in Mumbai working with the incredible students and faculty at the Mehli Mehta Music Foundation! I was very impressed with the promising young cello students, many of whom had only been playing for one or two years. I also performed a duo concert at the Russian Cultural Centre with Mehli Mehta faculty cellist, Magdalena Sas.

Group Cello Class learning a fiddle tune
Duo performance with Magdalena Sas at the Russian Centre
Post-concert pic with MMMF students and Magdalena
After Mumbai, I had the pleasure of visiting yet another exciting and dynamic music program in India! I was so lucky to be able to spend a week in Goa helping the talented and hard-working students of Child's Play (India) Foundation prepare for their big Christmas show! Congratulations to all on a spectacular performance!

Sharing some American bluegrass music
Violinists with attitude!
Conducting the Advanced Ensemble
Final bows


After a few days of rest, I flew off to Turkmenistan for my third visit! It's hard to put into words how moving, inspiring and transformational this past week in Ashgabat was for everyone involved in this phenomenal project. The students at the Turkmen National Conservatory really stepped it up for the final concert, playing and singing with heartfelt abandon! Thanks to Derek, Peter and Mai for being incredible colleagues and musical collaborators and to the U.S. Embassy staff for 10 days (+ many months) of tireless work and generous friendship. Thank you for your commitment to cultural exchange as a powerful vehicle for diplomacy. As ever, thanks to John and American Voices for continuing to create these remarkable, life-changing opportunities.
Conducting Blue Rondo a la "Turkmen"
Performing a Cole Porter set with colleagues
My Cello Ensemble featured in the State Newspaper
I'm already looking forward to my next project! I'll be flying to Kolkata in few weeks to conduct a week-long intensive workshop with the Calcutta School of Music Chamber String Orchestra focusing on works by American composers, which will feature traditional music styles like Jazz and Bluegrass. This is what it's all about!

2 comments: